Question
Posted by: Sam | 2011/02/08

Depressed

Hi there,

I am 24 and have always suffered from bouts of depression. When I was younger, the counseller had me on some herbal relaxers as I was unable to fall asleep at night (my mind works overtime thinking about things and worrying)

Now I have the complete opposite problem and I am very lathargic and I want to only sleep to not be able to think about the problems of life. My GP prescribed Nuzak and I have been taking it as prescribed for about 4-5 months. It does not seem to be helping and thoughts of just ending it all creep up all the time... Should I rather go see a phsycologist? Is it possible that I am just on the wrong anti- depressants and should see my GP again?

When trying an AD like Nuzak, first there must be a competent and expert correct diagnosis - antidep[ressants don't help non-depression. Then they need 2 to 3 weeks to show how useful ( or not ) they are going to be. There's no point in using them for months if they're really not hel,ping. Rather see a psychologist or psychiatrist for an expert assessment, and then a discussion of expert treatment options. I think this sort of situation may be beyond the expertise of the average GP

2
Posted by: Liza | 2011/02/08

Since you have recurring depression, it would be better if you''re being treated by a psychiatrist and not a GP. A GP just simply doesn''t have the experience required. Using medication for 4 months without it working is FAR too long to wait. If AD''s aren''t working after a month at most, it''s time to try a different one.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza