Question
Posted by: Mel | 2010/06/04

Depressed?

Hi doc, I reasantly moved from Gauteng to the Southern Cape to keep an eye on the building of our house. My husband is in Gauteng where he works, and still has to work for a while. He is not close to retirement. The idea was that I would build the house and he would come down every so often but now things are not working the way we thought. I am very lonely and feeling depressed and cry for no reason because I am missing him. He is also busy studying and is therefore busy the whole day. I go to the building site twice a day and am sorting out finishes for the house and then I am at home for the rest of the day. I have been here three months and the house should be finished in the next two months. I am having anxiety attacks and sometimes have a terrible pain in my left chest with pins &  needles in my arm. I am not sure whether I am depressed or whether it is adapting to my new environment. I am also worried about my husband not taking care of himself because he is too busy to sort out his diet and gets no exercise and is a smoker.

We both have high bloodpressure &  cholestrol and are on medication. I was thinking that maybe I should just go back to Gauteng with the traffic/crime etc so that we can at least be together. I am just scared that by living here I am actually increasing my stress level because I am without my husband.

What is your view regarding this?

Goodmorning, Mel,
Well, clealy this situation requires a good thorough assessment by a suitable specialist shrink. The chest pains, etc., have to be checked out to rule out heart problems ( especally as you say you have hih BP & cholesterol and are on treatment for this ).
This is important as those would both need a priority in terms of treatment, and would have a bearing on the selection of treatment for the depression, anxiety, or whatever other problems are found. Similarly, some of the possible treatments for the High BP / Cholesterol can be related to some psych symptoms, too.
This review could also look at whether there is an estalished or emerging depression / anxiety of a more biochemical nature or whether you are primarily troubled by the stresses and loneliness of the situation in CT.

1

Goodmorning, Mel,