Posted by: eleni | 2009-02-28

Hi doc

I moved to the UK from SA bout 2 years ago and i know that a bit sun keeps depression away, well u obviously know that there buggerall sun here, i miss my braais outside, the UK an indoor country and im a very outdoor person, that ive got so depressed that ive been eating myself into a coma, not only that, ive been diagnosed with IC (intersticial cystitis) and they removed a polyp on my bowels dont work at all... ive put on bout 25 kgs to top it... im on diazapam for my IC as at night i cant go to sleep, to help me sleep, and now that ive put on 25 kgs im more depressed as ther nothing else to do here in UK besides eat and watch TV... Ive tried to take xenical online but it doesnt work... i so desperattely wana lose weight, i jus eat myself into a coma and chocs especially... ive tried appetite suppressants but they not as strong aas the ones i used to take, RELISLIM in SA, what else can i take as far as appetite suppressants are concerned, i jus keep eating and cant stop or any medication u can recommend cause their medication not the same in SA as here, even diazapam, i used to take lexotan in SA for my IC problem. But now i need something to eliminate me eating so much... im so down about it, i exercise, but because there nothing to do here, i eat myself into a coma again....

Please help..

Thanks doc

Actually, indeed, some people are unduly afected by relative lack of sunlight, both in relaton to vitamin D metabolism, but also in relaion to mood and depression, and there's the aptly named S.A.D., Seasonal Afective Disorder, too. The UK and Europe in general is a marvellous place, but if one insists on remaioning an outdoor person, one has to adjust to probably more active outdoor pursuits ( cross-country skiing, pethaps ? ) rahwer than our lazier SA pursuits like the braai. ( which is itself hardly an aerobic exercise, unless you breathe VERY deeply while turning the wors !) .
But, having lived in the UK for many years, I can tesify that there's an enormous amount you can do other than eat ( in those days I could hardly aford to eat ) or watch TV ( and in those days I couldn\t afford a TV, either !) --- you can read, follow a large range of cultural pursuits and hobbies, hunt for antiques ( the safest kind of hunting, as none of your prey can bite backm ) -- go to concerts, plays, actually go to sports rather than siting on the couch ; there are more public facilities for taking part in sport and other activities than in SA.
See a dietician, and if you don't bring chocs into the house ( yes, they make some rather nice ones there ) then you won't have any to eat. Fill your fridge ( or, as we had to make do with, a box on the window-box, cooled by the freezing wind outsiode !) with healthy low-cal snacks.
You CAN stop eating, and should rather see a CBT orieinted counsellor ( and there are lots in the UK ) rather than insisting on searching for a chemical pill to be snarfed down between chocs, to do the trick. Better diet is possible, as is exercise --- I used to walk for many miles in the UK, where it is generally safer to do than visiting a mall in SA. And see a British Gastroenterologist expert about your bowel complains, as I'm sure there are better ways to manage these than taking a dependency-producing sedative tranquillizer. I suspect that better exercise would help the bowels, too.
There is one brilliant, magic remedy for eating too much, which you really don' seem to have tried yet --- engaging your own active intelligence to change that behaviour, And CBT can help you do that more efficiently.