Question
Posted by: Mbali | 2012/09/14

Depresion

Dear doc, Im going thru a lot of emotions I feel overwhelmed. I have not been diagnosed with depression but Im sensing that is what Im going thru. I have expirienced a lot this year, first my 7 year relationship ended because my bf was emotionally abusing me. In the 7 years we were together he treated me badly and I found myself cheating on him for the 5yrs of the 7yr relationship. he never found out abt my chaeating cause i always covered my tracks, when the relationship ended I was happy that Im going to be with the one person I trully loved. Our relationship went from strenght to strebght until recentlty.

My current bf and I are drifting apart and his just nt the person he was and I thought we had a good thing going on and I guess I was wrong. There''s a point when we did not see each other for abt 3 weeks and we dont live that far apart his reasons his going thru stuff. The fone calls became less and we both carried on with our own lives. In my heart I know that I should end things and im hurting over that decision because I still love him. Lately his been making that effort again the fone calls are frequent and I cant trust that he wont do what he did. Im emotionally drained my finances are also very bad and Im raising my son with no financial help from his dad. I feel like I cant go on, I fel like being alone and just cry my eye balls out.

Doc I want to know what signs I should look out for, for depression.

Isn't it a puzzle that you chose to spend 7 years with an abusive man, and to cheat on him for most of that time ? Whether or not you technically might be diagnosed with Depression ( and that's only sensibly done by a proper assessment by a shrink or a really good GP, the situation you describe would be distressing and unpleasant and worrying for most folks.
Go to Maintenance Court and make sure the deadbeat dad of your son contributes proper maintenance payments towards raising the child.
If your current bf is seriously interested in the relationship, maybe see a couples counsellor together ? At least have a calm discussion with him about what is and isn't happening between you two now.

1