Question
Posted by: William | 2010/01/14

Depramil and weight gain

Hi, i am a 38 year old male from South African
I have been taking Depramil 20 at 1.5 tabs a day for three months and have noticed significant weight gain.
I have since stopped the meds and would like to know how long it will be until my weight returns to normal.

Actually a more complex isue than you might think. Firstly, I wonder whether you were properly diagnosed as suffering from Depression. If not, then you may not miss the Depramil. Though if on has been on any antidepressant it's wiser to decrease the dose gradually when stopping rather than just to stop abruptly.
If you had a properly diagnosed Depression, then it would not be wise to stop taking the antidepressant without discussing this with your doc, as the depression would still need treatment.
Then the weight. Depression tends to affect our appetite and weight - some people lose appetite and weight ( and regain it as the depression lifts ) ; some gain appetite and weight.
It is also true that it can, especally for some people, be easier to gain weight while on some meds.
Once one has gained weight, for whatever reason, simply stopping the drug won't usually lead to weight loss - one still needs to lose it the old-fashioned way, by careful diet and exercise.

1