Posted by: Loyiso | 2009-10-12

Deppression / Panic Attack

have been through very traumatic experiences in the past. I lost my one year old child in 1997 through illness. Subsequent to that i survived the shooting by thugs who were hired to kill me. Between 2002 and 2003 I lost 3 of my closest relatives, 2 through natural causes and 1 was murdered. Since these incidences my life changed. I developed highblood pressure at the age of 37. I was diagnosed with panic attacks and depression. I have been to two different pshychiatrist, one psychologist and countless GP'  s since 2002. I have been put on fluoxitine (first), Remeron, Paroxitine and Venlor. They help me but each time when i'  m in stressful environment and situations i relapse. I am 43 and am taking high blood pressure tablets.

Gosh, what a horrible series of really bad experiences. Antidepressants, especially of the SSRI family ( like Fluoxetine and Paroxitine, are useful not only in depression but also in anxiety problems including those that arise post-trauma. And a psychologist can indeed be helpful, though the specific variety of treatment, CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) is the most likely to help, and could help you learn to handle stressful situations without relapsing. And learning to relax yourself, voluntarily and when you wish to, will also probably help the Blood Pressure.