Posted by: Anon | 2009-03-23

Depo Provera

I started Dep Provera birth control about two and a half weeks ago and was on the Trinessa birth control still. The nurse said that the Depo Provera is effective within 48hours of the shot. She also said that i will start to bleed for a long period of time as soon as i am done with the birth control pills. Knowing this me and my fiance started having unprotected sex.(him not wearing a condom). I havent started to bleed yet and it has been a week since i took the last birth control pill.
I would like to know if this is normal and if what teh nurse told me is true.

Thanks for your advice doctor.

You are protected after 48 hours with Depo. The lack of withdrawal bleed may be relalted to the Depo. This varies from person to person.

Posted by: Me | 2009-03-23

Any contraception takes 2 wks before it is 100% effective.

Reply to Me