Posted by: swg | 2009-01-22

dental implant

I' ve just had a dental implant and my surgeon mentioned that there was some boneloss on the side of my jaw due to the infection caused by the cracked root. he was able to replace the bone with some pieces of bone that had grown over the titanium plates and screws that were removed at the same time. what can i do to help the implant integrate successfully as well as the pieces that he has replaced the lost bone with? I' m on two large extroxins a day to keep a multi nodular thyroid suppressed.

thank you

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear swg
As long as you have your TSH levels checked regularly, the Eltroxin will not be harmful to your bones.
Regarding the bone loss in the jaw- as your dentist said, this was caused by an infection and your normal bone metabolism will now make sure that the holes get filled up. Ensure a healthy diet rich in calcium, vitamins, minerals and protein which will all aid in wound healing as well as helping the bone to knit successfully.