Posted by: Woolly | 2009-04-17

Denial is the longest river in Africa...

Hi Dietdoc

I did two pregnancy tests this morning, they were both positive. I guess I just didn' t want to believe that it was possible...

Now of course this changes EVERYTHING.

I am so overweight, not ideal. Don' t quite know how to approach it.

Thanks for all your advice over the last couple of days.

Dear Woolly
I am glad that you at least have clarity on that fact that you are pregnant, which I hope is a positive result for you no matter if you are overweight at present. Because I seem to recall reading that Weighless do not allow pregnant ladies to stay on their programme, I would recommend, if possible, that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to work out a diet for your pregnancy that not only helps you not to gain too much extra weight over the 9 months, but also provides you and baby with the nutrients you require for good health. Also try to do some form of gentle exercise like going for walks every day provided the dr or gynae who oversees your pregnancy gives permission. Once the baby is born, there will be time enough to lose weight. What is important now is that your baby gets the very best start in life.
Wishing you all the best for your pregnancy