Question
Posted by: H25 | 2008/07/17

DENIAL DECISION

CS

Thanks for the detailed answer.

Ok so how about this.

you are right, I must stop being stubborn and torturing myself into wrongly believing that my op was the sole reason for my greatly improved health as far as my infections go and finally accept that the combination is necessary, as you said, not only to prevent infections but also to protect it. Funnily enough, I was beginning to think a day or two ago, why am I being so stupid and stubborn and now think I do actually agree with my gp (who always has had my interests at heart at all times) that maybe it is better to " stay better"  and not let this maintenance issue get to me and that I am in fact not being a " hero"  by not taking it. The 50mg Macrodantin is a urinary antiseptic and has so far worked wonders in preventing me from getting sick. Also given that I am at risk at any time of getting sick, if I did my gp would be quite right in saying " I told you so" , although he would, in fact, never actually do that. He' s not that type of doctor. So thank you CS, what you have done is made me wake up and realise that it is in fact the two together that are working, despite my pharmacist and my gp telling me this. I think what finally did it, was your question " why do I need to have the op on its own being the reason for my being better"  and once I analysed that then I realised that it is wrong to see it llike that.

I had a kidney stone in Nov 1998 so I know all about them. I spent the whole of a Sat night at Morningside Clinic casualty getting pain-killing injections from my gp. I then had an IVP and 4 lots of follow-up x-rays and was admitted and they still couldnt find the cause of my kidney tube obstruction. I had a cystoscopy and it was only after I had a CT scan that they picked up my kidney stone - it was completely out of view. I had to have lithotripsy surgery because of the risk of my other kidney (this was before my op and the stone was in my left kidney!)

So I will deal with the fact that I do need the maintenance and that it' s no big deal and go back to taking it tonight!

Thanks so much for your advice.

SOunds like youre doing really, really well here. After all, when its suggested that your car should have regular and routine maintenance, you generally don't argue. Doesn't yout kidney deserve at least as much respect ?