Question
Posted by: smallpaul | 2010-07-30

Demotivational syndrome/paranoid schizophrenia

I was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia about 6 years ago. I also smoked weed, alot of it. I''ve been seeing my second psychiatrist for about 5 years now. He''s got me on 20 mg Abilify in the morning and Zopivane at night to sleep. I don''t see myself as having ANY of the positive symptoms of schizophrenia. However I''m not coping well (at all) with the lack of motivation, in particular. I''m 25 and don''t have a job and not studying either. I even sometimes find it hard just to take a bath in the morning. I''ve been off weed now for 3 years and don''t take any other drugs. Could it be that I have demotivational syndrome and if so is there any cure for it? Also, is there medication to counteract the negative symptoms (apathy, lack of motivation) rather than the positive symptoms which I understand to be the voices, paranoia etc. Please, I can''t go on living this way.

Hmm. Weed really isn't good for amnyone's brain, and especially so if one has an illness like schizophrenia. Sounds like your present treatment is bein useful if you have no positive symptoms, but as you are finding, the negative symptoms can be really disabling. And to complicate matters, amotivational problems are also described in some people who have used a fair bit of weed. Congratulations on staying off the weed for 3 years now. Keep that up, that really is progress.
YOu probably need to disuss this frankly with your psychiatrist, to consider whatever meds you have tried in the past, and review treatment from here on. Some of the drugs are better for negative symptoms, and would need to be considered. It really should be practical to revise your treatment so as to help you to shift those discouraging negative symptoms, too ; if your psychiatrist is reluctant to explore this possibility ( which I'd doubt ) then a second opinion might be worth seeking

1