Question
Posted by: Eric Westmore | 2011-11-29

Demotivated and standing still

I''ve been living with depression and been coping with it in varying degrees of success.

I''m struggling to get myself motivated or excited about anything. To the outside world I may appear to be without ambition and lazy. Maybe I am, but I don''t want to be!

So I find myself unhappy, anxious about my future, but without the willingness to get off my butt and change this. I know I should exercise, but it''s too much effort. I should do everything to the best of my ability, but I do just enough to get by.

Wish I could get some drive in my life! Can you advise?

Sometimes if we strugle too hard to "get excited" about things, we overl;ook very valid partial success of getting interested and pleased, even if not quite excited. In other words, let try to set ourselves modest goals that we then adjust upwards, to achieve a succession of successes, rather than too high a goal as the sole goal, which can leave us feeling as though we have failed even if we have improved.
Have you specific goals aimed towards a defined future, or rather vague and non-specific ones which are notoriously hard to plan for or move towards ? The more specific a goal, the easier to plan a rational path towards it.
"Drive" and "motivation" can't be cultivated in the abstract, only towards defined goals. See a counsellor / psychotherapist, especially one using well-tested and proven methods like CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) and you can solve this set of nesting problems

1