Question
Posted by: Ash | 2012/04/26

Demotivated

I work for a parastatal, 4 years ago the company restructured and my post became redundant on the region and had to be centralised. I was given an alternative non - managerial position to stay on, which I accepted but was kept on a managerial salary - the problem is for the last 4 years I did not receive any benefits like annual increases as a result my once juniors has a higher take home pay. I came to know of this as I perform their tax refund duties.Should I stay quiet or kick up a storm with my superiors once again. We are still in the restructuring process .

Expert ImageExecutive coach

Dear Ash,
Thank you for your question.
Parastatals are typically large, interesting and complex beasts that take a long time to react to a new world that is changing very quickly. Being large, they can come down on you with a lot of force. Being complex, they have systems in place with which to function. They are interesting as they don't always work as one would expect in the private sector.

Should you keep quiet? Probably not. Should you kick up a storm (once again)? Probably not.

You are in a trusted position working with and knowing peoples' salaries, probably the most contentious area in any business. If you use that information against your superior, I expect that you will break the trust, and also upset them as they are also part of the system. If you examine your case in terms of benchmarks, is there a measurement that you can use to justify an annual increase? If not, is there a procedure that you can follow to justify it? If you can, you give your superior ammunition to help them to fight in your corner.
If you kick up a storm, your superior might say, "oh there he/she goes again".

If your once-juniors are in management positions, keep in mind the added responsibility and stress that accompany their position, which you don't have.
You cannot (should not) really compare your situation with theirs.

Benchmarks: What are other in your position now earning in public and private companies?
If you were to leave where you are, would you be able to get a job somewhere else?
What other benefits are you getting, e.g. medical, pension, job stability, education/skills/training budget?

Summary: Can you help your superiors to come up with a solution? If this issue is big enough, I think that you will put in the effort to make that happen.
Good Luck!

3
Posted by: Ash | 2012/08/01

Thks couch.

I re-negotiated m situation with my superiors and have now come to a solution with an win win result. I got a bonus and a above market related increase .Glad I stuck it out ....

Natasha why don''t you arrange a meeting with your direct report and have a h person present .......... Good luck ,let us know what has transpired as a result .... I may b in a position to advise as well .

Reply to Ash
Posted by: NATASHA | 2012/05/17

hi,

this is actually an interesting conversation considering i am sitting in a similar situation in my company, i am the buyer, started off as a rep for the company, had an increase 3 months after starting with the company but now 6 years later i have not once recieved another increase so lets say for 5 and a half years i have not recieved one. i also would like to know what i can do as they say they cannot afford it but yet seem to live in luxury.

Reply to NATASHA
Posted by: Executive Coach | 2012/04/30

Dear Ash,
Thank you for your question.

Good Luck!

Reply to Executive Coach