Posted by: Joan | 2009-09-01

Dear Cybershrink
I have spent thousands of rands in order to get educated and get a good job. I have a job tht requires a skilled person with certain qualification, which I have. Problem is I am doing an administrative job becuase my boss doesn' t allow me to do what I have been trained to do. Fact is he really think he can run a one man operatin as he feels that he can do everyone' s job better than themselves. This is a medium sized company so you can understand my frustration, he doesn' t involve me in important decisions. I have spoken to him about this but it goes in and out of the other ear. As a result I sit here evryday applying for other jobs and with how the job market is these days it is almost impossible to find alternative employment. I hate my job, I cannot leave as we need the money and the fact that most people here feel exactly the same as me doesn' t make it any easier, they are all negative. Please give me some advice that will perk me up and get me motivated again. I wish the hours to go by evryday and who can live like that?

Companies are so burdened with incompetent managers and bosses ! And one of their faults is that they concentrAte on the silly idea thatg they can do eveyone else's jobs better than them --- but ignore the fact that they can't do and dont't do their own job, which nobody else is allowed to do ! A least you are learning, vividly, how NOT to be any sort o manager, and lets hope this comes in handy when you becom a manager yourself.
Don't frustrate yourself by expecting him to be more capable and sensible than this --- apparently he isn't capable of that --- and by expecting the impossible, you grow your degree of frustration. Be patient, looking for a job that can use your skills, and just know that he will eventually fall over his own feet, trying to do somebody else's dance

Posted by: Same Boat | 2009-09-01

Join the club. There are thousands (maybe more) of us in the same boat. Who said life was fair? I did it for almost twenty years before I jumped off that bridge and went it on my own. Never been sorry although it is sometimes extremely difficult. Trust in yourself and remember that no deed in this world goes unnoticed. Have faith in the impossible, and you will see.

Reply to Same Boat