Question
Posted by: Jayne | 2010/11/04

Delivery Complications

I am pregnant with my second child. I seem to have a slight rectal prolapse. I do not suffer constipation, bleeding, itching etc so I do not think it is piles but when I sit on the toilet I can feel a slight bulge from my anus. I don''t know how long it has been like that and I only noticed it during my first pregnancy. It does not bother me and as I mentioned it appears only when on the toilet. My concern is a vaginal delivery. Will the pushing and strain of childbirth have any effect or worsen this prolapse. Should I mention it to my gynae as it is awfully embarrassing. I would like to have a vaginal delivery again but if it means having to endure surgery at a later stage I will avoid it.
Will kegal exercises be of any benefit to this condition?

It is most likely piles rather than rectal prolapse, but you would need an examination to be sure. Kegel exercises would not help. Whether a vaginal delivery will worsen this depends on the exact diagnosis.

1