Question
Posted by: BMJ | 2010/11/29

Dehydration

Dear Doc

My 3y and 9 month old toddler came home from school feeling poorly (he was fine in the morning). His teacher said he was very sleepy. He did not want anything to eat when we got home and then went for a long sleep. He is pale. He has a temp of 38. He vomits every time he drinks anything. I tried to just give him water. 1 teaspoon every half hour, but he vomits even after that. So today he has not had much to drink at all (perhaps 60 ml before feeling sick this morning) and nothing a few teaspoons full (no more than 3) since. He vomitted at least 5 times this afternoon.

I know that dehydration is not good. How long before he needs to be seen by a dr if he cant take fluids orally?

Thanks Dr

Hi BMJ
If he is listless and his eyes are sunken, his tongue is dry he needs to see a doctor as soon as possible. One must be especially careful if it is hot and the child is sweating due to fever.
See also http://pediatrics.about.com/od/symptoms/a/05_symp_dehydtn.htm

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/11/29

Hi BMJ