Question
Posted by: worried | 2009/11/11

dehydration?

Hi Doc,
My dad had a gastroscopy and colonoscopy this morning, with Dormicum. Results were all normal. This evening however, he still has a runny stomach and is now vomitting. He' s not in any pain. Valoid and immodium haven' t helped. I believe he' s spoken to the surgeon who performed the procedure and he suggested that he is dehydrated. Does this sound right? What else could it be. It seems like a logical explanation given the process and symptoms I think. I' m very far away and am worried..

Thanks,
Loralie

Hallo Loralie
If he has a tender stomach and the vomiting persists he should see his GP asap - it is rare but the scope can damage the bowel and cause a perforation.

2
Posted by: worried | 2009/11/12

an ammendment... He' s been admitted to hospital now with bad stomach cramps and still the vomitting. they did an x-ray and found nothing abnormal so his doctor says his bowels etc are just irritated by the procedure and this is the reaction. He' s on a drip presumably to hydrate and also with buscopan in it. would an x-ray show if the scopes have damaged anything/perforated the bowel? he' s not running a fever, although my mom says he was hot last night, so I' m guessing he doesn' t have an infection?

Reply to worried
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009/11/12

Hallo Loralie

Reply to cyberdoc