Question
Posted by: Odette | 2010-02-23

Degenerative Disk Disease &  Zumba Workout

I had a lower back operation in Nov 2008, due to a pinched nerve, and the specialist informed me that I have what is called degenerative disk disease. The operation was a success. My physio told me that I would need to strengthen my back and stomach muscles. She also told me that I am not aloud to dance. Is this true?

Also I would like to know, with my current condition would it be a good idea for me to do a Zumba workout class or not? Since Zumba is a cardiovascular workout, but mostly incorporates latin dance moves that target the lower and upper body. I''''m currently doing a tae-bo class and a hip-hop Abs class. After the class my lower back hurts, but the next day I don''''t have any pain and I am fine. Or will doing this only be harmful to my back in the long run?
I don''''t have any back problems now, except for the occasional lower back pain every now and then.

Could you please advise me as to what to do?

Hi Odette

The avoidance of dancing is mostly because of the impact it involves, which is partly true. I'm never a fan of saying "never", because there are always exceptions and if you manage yourself wisely, you can still dance or do some impact, but it's the principle that is important, and that's correct - you have to be careful about impact.

As for Zumba, I'm not 100% familiar with it, having never done it. So I speak without experience, but I do think you would have to be careful about it as well. For example, you currently have back pain after class, but not the day after, which suggests you may be right on the limit of what your body can handle. If you did any more high impact training, you might find that your back is sore the day after as well.

So you just have to be cautious. If the pain lasts, then it's too much. At the moment, I think you're OK, but just monitor it and be careful, and you'll be OK. With time and training, you may even find that the back pain disappears and you can train a little harder.

Good luck!

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010-02-25

Hi Odette

Good luck!

Reply to fitnessdoc