Posted by: Odette | 2010-02-23

Degenerative Disk Disease &  Zumba Workout

I had a lower back operation in Nov 2008, due to a pinched nerve, and the specialist informed me that I have what is called degenerative disk disease. The operation was a success. My physio told me that I would need to strengthen my back and stomach muscles. She also told me that I am not aloud to dance. Is this true?

Also I would like to know, with my current condition would it be a good idea for me to do a Zumba workout class or not? Since Zumba is a cardiovascular workout, but mostly incorporates latin dance moves that target the lower and upper body. I''''m currently doing a tae-bo class and a hip-hop Abs class. After the class my lower back hurts, but the next day I don''''t have any pain and I am fine. Or will doing this only be harmful to my back in the long run?
I don''''t have any back problems now, except for the occasional lower back pain every now and then.

Could you please advise me as to what to do?

Expert ImageChiroDoc

Dear Odette - it seems like you are doing it all, and doing fairly good too!!! Although the exercises and routines you are following, seem to be good - I would recommend that you talk to a Biokineticist as well for more specific guidance on exercise routines.