Question
Posted by: Odette | 2010/02/23

Q.

Degenerative Disk Disease &  Zumba Workout

I had a lower back operation in Nov 2008, due to a pinched nerve, and the specialist informed me that I have what is called degenerative disk disease. The operation was a success. My physio told me that I would need to strengthen my back and stomach muscles. She also told me that I am not aloud to dance. Is this true?

Also I would like to know, with my current condition would it be a good idea for me to do a Zumba workout class or not? Since Zumba is a cardiovascular workout, but mostly incorporates latin dance moves that target the lower and upper body. I''m currently doing a tae-bo class and a hip-hop Abs class. After the class my lower back hurts, but the next day I don''t have any pain and I am fine. Or will doing this only be harmful to my back in the long run?
I don''t have any back problems now, except for the occasional lower back pain every now and then.

Could you please advise me as to what to do?

Odette

Expert's Reply

A.

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

Dear Odette,

you did have an operation on your lower back and your attitude should be that you are thankful that it was a success - as you might know not all back operations are that good. You obviously had a surgeon who did a good job and he would be the best one to judge what you should avoid to give you the best longterm duration of a pain-free spine. There are different types of operations and each one would require a different type of care and caution

Regards,

Dr Joe de Beer

1
user comments
Posted by: Orthopaedic Specialist Forum | 2010/02/23

Dear Odette,

Regards,

Dr Joe de Beer

Reply to Orthopaedic Specialist Forum

Want to comment?