Question
Posted by: rubin | 2009-01-16

degenerative c spine

I went for x rays on my left shoulder because of a sore ness and head aches. The results said that the interarticular facetal joints have sclerotic margins and are degenerative. What does this mean?

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Rubin
It basically means that there are signs of wear and tear in the spine- most of us get this as we age and the level of wear and tear very often depends on the type of physical activity we have done over the years. The intervertebral cushions become flatter and the little facet joints can get small bony growths that can cause all types of discomfort. Treatment is conservative (exercise, anti-inflammatory drugs, physio).