Posted by: Nobbles | 2008-11-20

Deformed sore middle finger

Hi, Im in my mid 50' s and have worked as a PA all my life - i.e. I type daily. I have what I assume is osteo-arthritis n my middle finger which gets very fat and painful on some days. I take a glucosamine supplement every day for joints. Should I go to a surgeon and see if surgery could straighten my finger. I can no longer grip with that hand as the middle finger doesn' t close. I also have one toe which gives problems now and then. By the way I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis but too scared to take any medication because of side affects. What do you recommend and is there some specialist I can see in the Northern suburbs cape Town. Thanks

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Nobbles
Please contact the Osteoporosis Foundation on 021 9317894- we will give you a list of names of specialists treating osteoporosis. Regarding the finger- I think you need to see a rheumatologist for an evaluation of the arthritis and possibly a more active form of treatment for the arthritis if they think it is necessary. There are two lady rheumatologists in Panorama who can help.