Question
Posted by: Taya | 2012/06/09

Definition of recovered

You can find statistics of recovery/ mortality etc quite easily- but what I''m curious about is the definition of recovered. Can there be a ''true'' recovery, where you don''t have any disordered thoughts and chance of a relapse is pretty much zero? If you have been in-patient, out patient, in therapy?

Is recovered weight restored? Relapse restored? And how long do you have to be in a ''recovered'' state to be able to say it :S

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello Taya,
Your question is. It an easy one to answer in simple terms. The reason for this is that "recovery" as a concept has various definitions and different treatment models define recovery in different ways. If yo are an alcoholic/substance abuser/Eating Disorder sufferer and you attend AA/NA/EDA meetings, the fellowship, as such talks of never being "recovered", but constantly working recovery. The philosophy behind this recovery process for life concept is that you continually work at recovery of a disease and never become complacent. There is some merit in this notion. However, I think that you also need to be able to define your own honest and sensible definition of recovery as it suits your own life process. If you have been in remission for an extended time and you no longer have any eating disorder symptoms or destructive thoughts, then I personally do not think there is anything wrong with defining yourself as "recovered" in the same way that a cancer victim undergoing treatment and eliminating all evidence of cancer can say that they are a "cancer survivor", rather than "surviving", provided they are responsible in eating and exercising healthily and attending their doctor for regular check-ups. Do yo get what I am saying. It's not so much the words " in recovery" or "recovered" that is most important, but rather your ongoing honesty in living a healthy and fulfilled life.
I hope that this helps.
Regards,
Graham

1
Posted by: Eating Disorders Expert | 2012/06/21

Hello Taya,
I hope that this helps.
Regards,
Graham

Reply to Eating Disorders Expert