Question
Posted by: Gillian Louw | 2010/03/12

Deep Vein Thrombosis in Shoulder region

Hi there! I have a question regarding a blood clot that formed in my shoulder region. the Axillary vein seems to be completely blocked and has formed scar tissue.

Since i have got this blood clot in my arm (ive had it for the past 5 years) - my whole arm seems to have swelled up and has stayed like that. My whole arm in about 2 centimeters difference in size and its is very noticiable. I am a competitive athelete and when i train my upper body my arm swells up even more and it becomes weak and the skin becomes tight. I also cant do any movement which involve my arm above the head - the arm becomes weak and numb.

My question is - what is causing my arm to swell up? And why is it happening? I have spoken to numerous doctors and non of them can give me an answer. Please i really need help and i will do what ever it takes to fix it because it is really affecting my daily life.

Kind Regards
Gillian Louw

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

Deep vein thrombosis of the upper arm can be due to an injury of the shouler or an operation to the shoulder. Another important cause to consider is Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. If you look at our website (www.shoulderinstitute.co.za) you will be able to read more about it there. You should see a thoracic surgeon with expetise with this condition to evaluate your arm
DR Joe de Beer

1
Posted by: Orthopaedic Specialist Forum | 2010/03/18

DR Joe de Beer

Reply to Orthopaedic Specialist Forum