Question
Posted by: Anon | 2010-05-05

Deep sleeper

Hello Expert,

Okay im not sure if you can help me out here and this is a very strange question but is there anyway you can stop yourself from sleeping deeply?I am a very deep sleeper when i fall alseep the entire house could fall down around me and I would not hear a thing or wake up at all!I have been like this for most of my life!If someone wakes me up i will wake up but after awhile and when my daughter cries or wakes up during the night i dont hear her, my husband has to wake up for her. Is there anyway that this " problem"  can be helped?

Expert ImageSleep Expert

It is in the "deep" portion of sleep that restoration happens. Sleep is an essential to survival - if one were to be kept awake for too long one would die! So no, there is no way to avoid "deep" sleep, just as there is no way to avoid breathing. Not without the obvious consequences, anyway.

1
Posted by: Sleep expert | 2010-05-06

Reply to Sleep expert