Posted by: monique | 2011-10-17

deep sleep

i have a four month old and struggle to wake up when he''s crying, luckily my partner is a light sleeper and hears him. What can i do not to sleep so heavily... it takes up to 20 min to wake me and that is if i wake up. please help as i feel like a bad mother and i want to get up during the night for my little boy! My husband is extremely tired everday!

Thank you.

Expert ImageSleep Expert

There really isn't much you can do. But look on the bright side - your son will not come to any harm, and he is learning a very valuable lesson - that the world is not at his beck and call. The point is that it is normal for him to be waking (as it is for everyone) from time to time. We all have to learn that waking is OK - what is not OK is waking up the rest of the household. So, inadvertently, you are probably doing exactly the correct thing!

Don't worry - nature works in wondrous ways!