Question
Posted by: Lab Owner | 2011/06/04

Decreasing Food

My 11 month old female Lab is slowly but surely picking up a layer of fat. She is not overweight yet but I would like to nip this in the bud before it becomes an issue. After she was spayed our vet recommended that we decrease her food allocation by 10 percent (she is on Hills Puppy). I did this. As she is still in a growth period, by how much could I further reduce her food intake while still insuring that she is getting sufficient nutrients for proper development? Treats are minimal - about two Hills Light biscuits a day and she is very active.

Hello Lab Owner,

It's not an uncommon problem with Labradors. Please the the article at the top of this forum:

"Dealing with Pet Obesity", and keep us updated on your Lab's progress.

Dr Campbell.

3
Posted by: Lab Owner | 2011/06/06

Thanks Chill and Dr Campbell. I will implement your advice Chill and the article was also helpful and informative. I''ll let you know how it goes.

Reply to Lab Owner
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011/06/06

Hello Lab Owner,

Dr Campbell.

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Chill | 2011/06/04

Lab-sized dogs reach their full size and weight sometime between 11 and 15 months - your pup probably isn''t growing any more but quite likely will still fill out a bit. If she is gaining a bit too much weight, why not start mixing in some adult chunks with the puppy ones - that would address the matter of calories a bit.

I wouldn''t get overly worried about the ''sufficient nutrients'' bit - the fact is that if she''s gaining weight, she''s eating more than she needs to. Do remember, though, that in winter dogs do eat a bit more than in summer, so taper off gradually and don''t expect results overnight.

Reply to Chill