Posted by: Racoon | 2010-02-26

Decongestant in first trimester - Urgent please

Dear Doc

Can you please suggest a decongestant that I can safely use? I am 10.5 weeks pregnant with sinus pain and headache. Was so bad last weekend I had to be admitted, but after 5 days of antibiotics the headache is coming back. I am starting with nasal irrigation today, but I think a decongestant will help things on a lot.

Unfortunately, no decongestant is proven safe during pregnancy. Therefore, irrigation of the sinusses with salt water, is effective and safe. You can also use Sinex Saline Mist, which is only salt water that is sprayed into the nose to alleviate congestion.

Panado is safe to use during pregnancy for pain and fever. Sucking Halls menthol mints might also help alleviate congestion.