Posted by: molemo | 2013-01-13

decision time

i have decided to leave my job monthend, even though i do not have a job offer. will tell my boss next week about my departure.. its been a 2years of hell and im glad that im still sane. however i have learnt a lot a things as an Hr practitioner. i work in HR in one of the best government department. but the culture and the management style is not rite. often times i feel like im being bullied and my colleages feel the same way. i think this organisation is best suited to people that are bold and tough. if you are sensitive like some of us then it will destroy you. last year 5 people left and 2 did not have job offers.

in my first year of employement i was going in and out of psychologists due to stress and depression. this is because on my first month of employement i was told that i am not performing and the day to day was stressful. like how the communication is done. very intimidating and you are told that you need to work very hard and not go home if work is not complete. it was the first time in my career that i came across such a cruel and harsh organisation. and we work a lot of overtime (but its not paid for) since work comes first and family comes afterwards. i get panic attacks on sundays knowing that on monday, i am going back to work. the workload is very high and forces me to leave the office at 6h30pm most of the time or come to work on saturday. some of the things are small but the boss makes a big deal of it. eg: i did not answer a clients call and this is because you were in a meeting. now you are blamed for this cos the client is furious since he could not get hold of you.

i intend to start a business, i have registered it and saved the capital required. i just hope that it works out and i wish that i had a mentor who will coach me along the way. will also continue with the net work marketing as i was doing. my baby''s father is not working for ages now and i cannot rely of him to support the baby financially.

so far i managed to save the capital plus 3 months salary. please advice - i feel like im in a jail job

If a worker is being bullied by lousy management, they're supposed to be able to turn to the HR person to protect and help them. If that HR person is being similarly mistreated, where can they go ?
I suspec your boss doesn't work the unpaid overtime he expects others to work ?
Can you check with a labour lawyer before you leave or announce your intention to leave, to make sure all of your rights are being properly protected ?
I hope that other readers can give some helpful suggestions about how to find the mentoring you deserve