Question
Posted by: GrimReaper | 2011/04/09

Death Penalty

Hi CS

What do you think of the death penalty? Yay or Nay?

I watched the green mile the other day, damn sad shit, death in the electric chair. Didnt SA have the death penalty in the old days?
Some say they should bring it back, what do you think does any government have the right to kill its citizens?

Society is so strange. It''s like murder. Society says no you cannot kill people within our society, but if you join the army we will pay you to kill other people during times of conflict.

It''s quite funny.

Very carefully engineered and rather manipulative, but a very moving film. Yes, Sa did have the death penalty in the olf days, indeed I think it was one of the most busily executing countries on earth. But often for the wrong reasons, which gave it a really bad reputation.
Its difficult to talk about rights in the sense you do. TO say no government has the right to kill its citizens, as you point out is contradictory Oh, and when they conscript kids into the army and send them to war to get killed ? Doesn't that count ? The SA constitution didn't ban war or close the army.
And in a way the death penalty is based on an even larger view of rights, that every citizen has the right not to be killed, and that no citizen has the right to kill any other. And if they ignore that right in others, do they have a strong claim to have that right themselves ? ( I can kill anyone I fancy, but nobody must be allowed to kill me ? )
What I find puzzling is that, though all surveys seem to show that a great majority of people in all communities favours having a death penalty, and we are supposed to live in a democracy where issues are decided by the will of the majority, the state and constitution has decided this is to be the one great exception, where nomatter how great a majority want it, they cannot be allowed to have it.
Many aspects don't get explored. For instance, is genuine life imprisonment really better for the individual than a death penalty ?

4
Posted by: Avenger | 2011/04/10

Hi Grim. An eye for an eye. How would you feel if someone near and dear was tortured/martyred with an hot iron all over their body, scalded with boilingwater/oil then raped and decapitated or hung from a tree, fate suffered by some of our farmers ?(Oh yes, it happened more than once, I saw a young boy in his school uniform hanging from a pipe in the bathroom and a grandfather decapitated in the bath)

Would you forgive them, wish them all the best, have them luxriate in one our 5 star prisons, or be strung up ? Better still, what would you do if you caught him in the act? Oh yes, there is always a good reason to kill someone !

Reply to Avenger

Posted by: GrimReaper | 2011/04/09

Thank you for sharing your opinion avenger.

There is no circumstance where killing is fine.

Reply to GrimReaper
Posted by: Avenger | 2011/04/09

Oh Yes.We did have it and unfortunately we don''t have it any more. A real pity.
Where people make the mistake, the bleeding hearts, that is, is that they believe that the death penalty does not deter crime.
I agree. It does not deter, but what is DOES do, is to take out those social misfits who have CHOSEN of their own free will to put themselves outside the law that keeps us safe from violent crime and protects the population.
The social misfits do not care about themselves due to serious pyscological disturbance and therefore have no care for anyone else.
They take a life at the drop of a hat, rape at will, all to satisfy their own needs, whatever that may be.

Now, I ask you, do they deserve mercy and kindness from the rest of us? They cannot be rehabilitated and are useless to society, so why do we persist in keeping them alive?

War as declared by a soverign nation, and not terrorism, embarked on by a politically motivated group, is something quite different and killing in those circumstances is fine.

Reply to Avenger