Question
Posted by: Catherine | 2010-02-27

death due to myocarditis

Hi. My dog passed away due to myocarditis. We were told that there was no virus, bacteria or toxin in tissue that they used to test. The tissue mass was found above the heart around/in the aorta, as seen in x-ray. The only explanation they can give us is the possibility of snake or scorpion bite which we don''t have in our area. He also showed no symptoms of being ill. All that happened was that he was panting heavily, his tongue turned blue and a few hours later he collapsed. Unfortunately one vet sent us home and the other took a while, so he was not helped fast enough. Is there anything else that could cause the heart problem? He had just turned six and was so full of life. This doesn''t make sense.

His breed was Border Collie x Alsation.

Please can you give me a clearer indication.

Dear Catherine

Unfortunately not. These cases are difficult to solve even with a full post mortem.