Question
Posted by: Mel | 2010-01-06

Death Certificate

A friend of mines sister passed away last week. She showed me the death certificate because she wanted me to explain in lamen' s terms what killed her sister. The certificate says ' pneumonia'  and ' retroviral disease stage 4' . Can you explain what this actually means so that I can explain it to my friend? I looked it up and I found a lot of references to HIV, but nothing conclusive and I' d like to make sure that I have the correct answer for her. Thank you for your time.

Hallo Mel
Lung infection and probably HIV although there could be other retroviruses too that can cause infection. Doctors often use "retroviral" because putting "HIV" on a death certificate is still a sensitive matter. If I may make a suggestion, you could tell her that she died of lung infection due to weakened immunity.

2
Posted by: Mel | 2010-01-07

Thank you. I will take your advice.

Reply to Mel
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010-01-06

Hallo Mel

Reply to cyberdoc