Posted by: Jen | 2012-09-07

Dealing with nasty neighbour

Hi Cybershrink!
My friend, who''s in her 50s, lives alone (except for her 3 very well-behaved dogs) - next door to a really mean-spirited neighbour &  his wife. This neighbour has been really rude over the years but has now stepped up his intimidation techniques.
Recently, she cut the hedge that borders onto her property - only her side as it was taking over her veggie garden.

She asked her gardener to be very careful, but unfortunately, he lopped off a bit much on 1 spot, leaving a bit of a dent. I''ve seen it &  it''s nothing really bad, &  will have grown back in 3 months. This neighbour has now declared war on her (he literally shouted at her: this is war!). He has even called the police because of the hedge incident &  his wife was overheard telling them that she''s sure my friend trespassed on their porperty to damage the hedge.

He''s pretty intimidating (although he very ostentatiously works at a charity so everyone else thinks he''s a nice guy!), and complains about other neighbours just not to the extent he''s harassing her.
I feel he is being abusive &  trying to scare her. How can she handle this situation? What''s the best way to deal with such a person? She''s afraid to speak up because he may do something to her dogs - many years ago, her 2 daschhunds ''disappeared'' after managing to get through the fence to his garden). What to do?

Maybe she needs a spot of legal advice, but as far as I know if you cut YOUR side of a shared or boundary hedge, its none of the neighbour's business. SOUNDS LIKE ONE OF THOSE NEIGHBOURS FROM hELL WHOSE ONLY HOBBY IS TORMENTING THE FOLKS NEXT DOOR. i USED TO HAVE NEIGHbour like that. aGAIN, A LAWYER COULD ADVISE WHETHER SHE HAS ENOUGH OF A COMPLAINT ( AND PREFERABLY WITH PROOF OF what the nasty man is doing, to perhaps go to court and get a restraining order agains him and his wife to make hem stop harassing him.