Question
Posted by: lost | 2008/07/31

dealing with loss

I have just recently lost my mother. I was initially very brave about the death as i took care of her for a short while before she died , a month later now I am becoming emotional all the and i feel overwhelmed by the slightest thing . I am starting to feel weak and ill and all of this is causing strain on my family life. What can i do to help myself?

See a counsellor --- perhaps one associated with your local Hospice who will have experience with grief work. I'm in much teh same situation myself. It's common that initially one is in a form of shock and not fully emotionally realizing what all this means, and after some weeks it sinks in further. Also, as you also were taking care of her, suddenly not having those chores to do feels strange and takes some getting used to.

3
Posted by: Carl | 2008/08/01

I know exactly what you talking about i am in the same boat
recently i lost my dad,my hero my everything when i thought about him i end up crying its sad to lose our beloved ones.I am still struggling to cope.Any suggestions and my family is far away.I miss them,my mom.

Reply to Carl
Posted by: Tsk | 2008/07/31

I agree - you need to talk to someone. I found that I became irrational and felt angry all the time. Getting over the death of a loved one takes time and believe me you cannot do it on yyour own. I wish you the best

Reply to Tsk
Posted by: Candice | 2008/07/31

Contact your local hospice and ask if they have a bereavement counsellor - I understand what you are going thru and I was able to talk to a counsellor which helped me to understand and cope with the loss.

Reply to Candice