Question
Posted by: Jude | 2010-02-24

Dealing with gallstones

I am a 42-year old female, healthy eater (low fat foods and plenty salads, fruits &  veg), not overweight &  fairly fit. A sonar scan was done today to establish the cause of my recent abdominal pain &  nausea. The radiologist found a gallstone, 2cm across. I''ve done some searching online for alternatives to surgery and would like to know whether the gallbladder cleanses (involving olive oil, lemon juice, apple juice 7 epsom salts) could assist in breaking down the stone? Or the shockwave treatment which shatters the stone into small pieces. I find hospital stays traumatic and dread anaesthetic. The after-effects of gallbladder removal are real horror stories. What are my options?

Dear Jude
I do not think that the gallbladder cleanses will work. The olive oil may make your symptoms worse and the epsom salts will cause diarrhoea but not break up the stone. The options are to have the stone shattered by laser treatment or to have it removed. Nowadays the surgeons can use keyhole surgery to remove gallstones which does involve an anaesthetic buy only requires very small incisions to be made and rapid recovery. You will have to discuss these treatments with your surgeon because the size and location of the gallstone will determine how it can be removed. Also mention that you have an aversion to hospitals and anaesthetics so see if there are alternatives or not. Disregard all these horror stories other people enjoy telling you. There is no reason why you should have the same experience.
Once the stone is removed you will certainly feel much better and no longer suffer from abdominal pain and nausea.
Holding thumbs for you

2
Posted by: Meshack Magigi | 2010-03-14

I stay in Benoni where can I go to scan for gallstones

Reply to Meshack Magigi
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-02-24

Dear Jude
Holding thumbs for you