Question
Posted by: DWD | 2009-08-22

Dealing with death

Dear Team

Hope you can help , what are some of the ways of being able to prepare yourself for the death of a parent ?

Any advice would be welcome

I'm not sure that one can ever truly prepare oneself for the death of a parent. Even acknowledged world experts on Death find it hard to bear. Some things one can do to make it easier would include trying to avoid avoidable regrets --- spending as much time as you can ( to the extent that both of you find agreeable ), talking though your lives and what you find you are grateful for, and ensuring that you do what you ccan to minimize their concerns and worries. And frankly, to gently include the topic of death, of either of you, within conversation, to understand what sort of funeral each of you would prefer, if among their belongings there are specific items they'd like to be sure go to specific people, and so on.

Lets see what other readers suggest.

4
Posted by: Julia | 2009-09-09

My daughter aged 11yrs, 48kg, is very sporty - loves her swimming 1hr per day Monday-Frid and is a Judoko. We have been advised that her spine has grown &  the tendions/muscles still need to catch up as she is in serious continues pain - in most areas down her back. Have just had xrays and bloods taken, not assuming anything else is wrong. Is Physio the route and what else can we do for her - how long will this phase last? Thank You

Reply to Julia
Posted by: marl | 2009-09-07

One are never fully prepared for the death of parent even if they are sick.
My mom died last year after a short illness and I still struggle with it. Some days are better than others but one must go through the motions. what i can say is spent as much time together and make each moment count.

Reply to marl
Posted by: Liz | 2009-09-06

One must always remember ' Death'  is final. I think the worse anyone can go through is losing a loved one and there was never time to say "  I' m sorry"  We must all learn to love one another while we are still alive, try and keep a balance. No one is perfect there will always be disputes and disagreements but we can make amends before it' s too late. Live your life to your limit love and respect your parents, someday when they have gone to greener pastures you will have no regrets. I hope I have helped you?

Reply to Liz
Posted by: Zexeon | 2009-08-23

I might die before my parent so don' t want to give it much thought although since my grandmother (the first person close to me that died and me still in school) passed away I felt so down that I felt suicidal but when my mother pass away I might go and see my psychologist not to harm my body ... in the mean time enjoy them while you have them.

Reply to Zexeon