Question

Deaf White Cats

I have a deaf white cat, I read somewhere that white cats are MORE likely to be deaf, is this true? If so, what are the reasons for it?

Dear Anonymous

True. Genetic thing- read a bit more on the internet.

1
Posted by: jax | 2009-04-30

it also gets quite complicated.... For a white cat to be born deaf, they need to have a combination of genes that are almost all recessive, so you won' t know until you have a deaf kitten whether the parents are carriers of all the genes involved.
The odds of a pure white cat being deaf are much much higher than for any other colour, but its not always the case.
Of course, in SA, the most important thing with a white cat is to make sure that they don' t get sunburned, as this can often lead to skin cancer - especially ears and nose.

Reply to jax