Posted by: Jade | 2011-12-13

Deaf Jack Russell constantly barking

Hi animal lovers

I have a problem. My late sister''s Jack Russell who is nearly 15 years old, is completely deaf. As a result he constantly barks at all and sundry (during the day as he sleeps inside at night) and obviously can''t hear the noise he makes. It''s impossible for him to be supervised 24/7, we obviously try our best to stop this behaviour. Our neighbour had now complained.

We are moving to the coast in the next couple of months, into a more private security village and I am terribly worried about alienating our new neighbours. He is otherwise very frisky and full of life, and I would hate to have to put him down because of his barking. I spoke to the vet about removing his vocal cords (a last resort) and they are not keen on this practise anymore. Please can you give any other suggestions, I am in turmoil about this.

Hi Jade

I am so sorry to hear of your turmoil.

Please contact you local vet and ask for his/her advice on the matter. Your vet may suggest that your JRT has a clinical examination to determine the possible cause of his deafness and/or other conditions such as Cognitive Dysfunction.

If nothing is determined at clinical the vet may suggest that you consider seeking the advice of a qualified animal behaviorist. The animal behaviorist may be able to determine if there is a behavior problem (i.e. separation anxiety) and hopefully initiate a retraining program.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell