Question
Posted by: Shellbe | 2011/09/22

Deaf Bullterrier

We adopted a gorgeous bull terrier who has been deaf from birth. I have had him neutered so he is a little calmer but generally has alot of energy and is of course incredibly strong.

Do you have any advice or tips for keeping him from pulling on the leash or how I can teach him to walk at my side?

Right now walking isnt all that much of a pleasant experience, he pulls left to right and Im constantly getting tangled in his leash.

Thank you so much in advance.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Shellbe, we are posting an article on just this subject at the end of the month as we have had so many requests about deaf and blind dogs. Please visit my free website first week in October and the article will be listed on hopme page. There is a huge amount of information there which I think you will find very useful. www.friendsofthedog.co.za. There are also several articles on lead pulling that you can have a look at and see which suits you best. The very easiest way is to use the Green Light/Red Light exercise which you start inside the house. It is important to have the dog under control before you go out. Put the lead on and hold it against your tummy. The second the dog pulls stand completely still, not interacting with the dog at all. The second the lead slackens, take ONE step forward and keep on repeating. In a very short period of time you will be able to take 2 steps,then 3 etc, gradually building up. This does take a little onger, but it really does work. Thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/09/26

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert