Posted by: arina | 2009-02-19

dead sperm

my gynae did a PCT, my husband won' t go for sperm test. Doc told me 80% of sperm is dead, 20% swimming slowly (spinning) in circles. Doc need result of sperm test first to carry on with my treatment (PCOS) to ovulate and conceive (maybe mucus kills it). husband uses renitec &  lipitor. can this cause sperm problem? what over-the-counter medicine do you suggest i get to help with problem? thank you.

Dear Arina

Your husband is on Renitec and Lipitor for hypertension and hypercholesterolemia, both of these conditions can cause sperm problems. There are no over the counter medication that I suggest would make that much of a difference and if your husband has such a high dead sperm count there is certainly a problem with his sperms and I suggest that he sees a urologist to ascertain as to why there is such a high abnormality rate in the post coital test.

Answered by: Dr Y. M. Dasoo