Posted by: Frank | 2009-07-08

dead feelings inside me

I went through a bitter divorce that left me broken 5 years ago. After this the panic attacks started.

i remarried 18 months ago to a wonderful lady. Our marriage is very good. No major problems. she carries me and on her hands.
i have a good job, pays well and we live comfortably.

the problem i have is that i have no feelings really inside me. Nothing brings any feelings of joy into my life. I used to love reading and fishing, now i just dont care. i have the money to buy a luxary motor vehichle, i test drive them and look and them with no feeling. i rather just drive my " normal car"  iam comfortable in. I have no sex drive either...

I have been on sleeping tablets " adco-zolpidem hemitaitrate 10mg"  (and others) for 10 years plus, i have a problem that my mind just refuses to go to sleep. I think that they have more a placebo effect on me other then real value (iam also a shift worker).

I was on Lamictin 100mg for a year that stopped the panic attacks and stabalized me in this area, but all iam left with is dead feelings. The dr put me on mollipaxin 100mg for the last year, but the panic attacks are starting slowly again.

Cipralex and weelbutrim have been tried but they let things crawl under my skin the whole day and drive me up the wall.

What is of great concern to me is that nothing gives me joy in life anymore. I used to love to read my bible and got much comfort out of my spirtual life, going into a book store and looking around was of great joy for me.

I know iam blessed and i read the other peoples problems and mine feel so small in comparrision. Please point me in the right direction, i dont expect a magic formula, i will do the work to get well.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Frank

I would suggest that you consider setting up an appointment with a psychologist/counsellor so that you could talk about your story and experience of no joy in your life. Together you could move toward discoveries that may assist you in finding new meanings. Perhaps be mindful of the fact that you indicate your willingness to do the work required in the desired direction. You indicate a motivation for the work. Keep in mind that the depression can decrease the encouraging aspects of what you are able to see. Talking may open up a space in your life to experience ways of being that have not been present to you. The so called voice of depression seems to dominate and talking with a professional could in collaboration with you consider ways that bring other aspects of your living and experiences to the fore.
Kind regards
Lorna Quinn

Posted by: Mike | 2009-07-12

I hope you read this. I know exactly what you are talking about as its almost my own story minus the divorce. All I want to say is that you maybe need to try getting all thos drugs out your system. Natural sleep, even a little is to me better than chemically induced.

I cut out all drugs, and my road to recovery started. I still have ' dead feelings'  sometimes and am often numb about things but over the last few years I keep getting better.

Attitude is KING, drugs arenot the answer but they can be used to help get better but there is point where you maybe need to let go the training wheels?

All the best !

Reply to Mike