Question
Posted by: Tired | 2011/02/17

De-Formed Family

My family is in trouble, well it has been for a while now. When hubby is cross with me, he is cross with the world, can stay like that for DAYS. Won''t even help out with chores around the house. 16 Year old doesn''t open up, hubby is not her father, he doesn''t want to get involved in her life and she feels the same. 4 Year old, busy as can be. 4 Year old and 16 year old wanna kill each other DAILY. Me, diabetic and high blood, coz of constant stress, sugar levels stay sky high. Hubby didn''t even know what was the name of my medication. He seems to annoy himself with me and this diabetes. Well the whole house if you ask me. Maybe they think I am putting on.. I feel it''s time I consult a family psychologist. Although I know for a fact they will say THEY DON''T NEED IT. But we need help. I need to live a long life, hubby needs to learn how to be supportive in ALL areas and baby needs to just calm down a bit. As for the 16 year old, she needs to realizs she is STILL a child. I sometimes hate them all so much. I will just go to bed at night to avoid THEM ALL....Any good physiologist you can recommend in JHB South. And also do they take Medical Aid. I am on discovery Classic Comprehensive.
Thanks a mill

Eish. So husband is sulky and immature, and not prepared to act like a father / step-father, and adolescent is being adolescent ? 4-year-old busy being 4. Family counselling might indeed be helpful, though it could only be so if they all agreed to take part sincerely and give it a chance to work. They might see iot as an aceptable way to solve the problems they may think they have with you, but that's fine i it gets them working together with a suitable counsellor.
If they will NOT at this stage take part, at least see a personal counsellor to help you cope better with all this, and with your diabetes.
I cannot keep track of the rules of different medical Aids or the whereabouts of diferent counsellors, but FAMSA is a national group which can help you find a suitable individual / family counsellor within reach, and may know about what would be covered by medical aid. Their number should be in your phone book.

2
Posted by: Romany | 2011/02/17

May I suggest that, firstly you need to go for couples councilling (you and hubby) and secondly you need to get the diabetis under control.
All will fall in place once these 2 problems have been addressed.
Just remember, diabetis is no big deal if controlled properly, do not use this as an excuse for everything.
And 16 years and 4 years are both difficult ages in any circumstance.

Reply to Romany