Question
Posted by: Pam | 2009/12/08

Day 3

Hi Doc. I am about to have my day 3 (of my period) blood test done. (IVF). What is considered a good level? Also, what is considered a good level before I can start stims? Another thing, what if my follicles are too small, will I carry on with meds till they are big enough? Thank you very much.

Dear Pam

Day 3 bloods would normally include a FSH level and an anti-mullerian hormone level. These two blood tests usually indicate ovarian reserve and may help in determining the stimulating protocol that is used in an IVF cycle. In addition to the blood test a helpful test is an antral follicle count, which I’m sure your doctor has done when he had examined you before. A low FSH level less than 5 on day-2 or day-3 usually indicate good ovarian reserve and will generally result in a good cohort of follicles being obtained. If your follicles are too small the doctor will carry-on with the medication and perhaps increase the medication until they are big enough to remove.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2009/12/11

Dear Pam

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert