Question
Posted by: karenm | 2011/08/22

daxi eating

Please help I am desperate, my 1 yr old daxi is chewing everything in site, specifically his blankets in his beds (he has 3).

I feed him in the morning and the evening and he is on the Royal Canin for Dachshunds, and has been since we got him. I also have a 4 yr old daxi as well and although he also has his funny obsessions, he doesnt chew materials.

Any advice on stopping this "  habit"  would be most appreciative.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Karen, my first question is - does this behaviour only happen when you are away from the house? If so, there is a good likelhood that the dog is engaging in this behaviour due to seperation anxiety. If this is the case you need to get hold of a professional behaviourist to help you as soon as possible. Sep anxiety is the hardest behaviour to change and takes a lot of time and patience to achieve.

If the behaviour is happening both when away and when home, then it could very well be frustration and/or boredom. Make sure the dogs get daily exercise and supply plenty of chew toys for them to get stuck into during the day. Vary these to provide more mental stimulation and even try dampening the dogs food then stuffing inside a Kong or similar. This will keep the dog busy doing 'legal' things.
Good luck and do let me know how you go, thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/08/22

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert