Question
Posted by: mom | 2013-03-05

Q.

daughters weight

my 11 year old daughter weighs 57kg and is 163 cm,should i be worried i feel she weigh more than kids her age

Expert's Reply

A.

- 2013-03-06

Dear Mom

The average weight and height of 11-year-old girls is estimated to be 46 kg and 157 cm. If we calculate your daughter's BMI = 21.43, which is above the cutoff for overweight in 11-year-old girls. It would be advisable to consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that the dietitian can calculate a balanced slimming diet for your daughter to ensure that she can lose some weight, but still obtains all the nutrients she needs to grow normally. Physical activity is also important for weightloss in children, so encourage her to take part in sport or to do some exercise for at least 30 min a day (e.g. skipping or swimming or cycling). 

2
user comments

C.

I do not have children, but work with them. The problem with your comment anonymous is that you automatically assume its all the parents fault. How do you know there isn't something else going on? I also know numerous families where one child is slim and another overweight, but exposed to exactly the same environment. Before you judge every overweight child stop and think that some parents ARE doing something about it.

I think it is a form of child abuse to let your children get fat and overweight. By giving them treats and sweets and junk food, you are not showing them you love them, it is actually doing the opposite, it show you don't care about their health and future. I don't know the statistics, but I believe that most obese adults, are a result of children being taught to love junk food, eat anything they want and have a relationship with food that is neither healthy nor good, both mentally and physically. You should teach your children to run, play and be healthy, that way you will end up with grand-children! If parents don't do anything about it when the kids are young, nothing will change when they are older/adults. Teach them the right way, even if you don't always do it yourself!

Want to comment?