Posted by: Melly | 2011-04-29

Daughters tummy ache

A week ago my 10yr old daughter started to complain of a tummy ache (around navel and just above it). I took her to the doc who mentioned that it may be an irritation in the stomach or lining or something, he did not give it a name as far as I recall. She has no diarrhoea, no vomiting, no fever, she eats as normal, is normally active, etc. The pain also never wakes her from sleep. He put her on something (I don’ t recall the name now, but something starting with an A) for 2 weeks to heal the lining if I’ m correct. It is now a week later and I am concerned as I don’ t see an improvement. It seems to be there the whole day, and does not get any worse or better. We were away on holiday for a while and she mentioned it a few times on and off but now we’ re back and I had to fetch her from school early yesterday. He did say she should not eat/drink certain things, but with Easter weekend, she went a bit overboard on the chocs etc. I have asked her if it’ s a burning pain and she said slightly. It seems to improve with food, but does not completely disappear. My concern is she is extremely aware of her body and a slight cut or bruise is quite an issue with her so I cannot gauge the intensity of this pain. I also do not know what to give her to ease the pain. Last night I gave her a probiotic and asked her if that helped, (knowing it’ s not a pain killer) and she mentioned that it had a little. What to do now ? Thank you,

I suggest that you consult a gastroenterologist for a gastroscopy under sedation. This visual examination can shed light on her chronic pain and exclude pathology.

Posted by: BMJ | 2011-04-29

Melly my 9y old son also had tummy ache with also no other symptoms and it did not go away. Eventually they did a sonar and found enlarged glands over his tummy and illiac crest. He went to see a surgeon and was operated on the same day and when the lab results came back it was confirmed appedicitis. He had no fever, no vomitting, no stools just tummy ache that would not go away.

Reply to BMJ