Question
Posted by: Nicky | 2010/07/15

Daughters puberty

Hi Dr Bets. My daughter is now 9 and a half. We noticed a few days ago that she now has hard lumps under both nipples (I assume these are breast buds?) and I understand this to be the beginning of breast development. My question is that she started to grow pubic and underarm hair before the breast buds appeared - she started this about a year ago. I understand that periods begin approximately 2 years after breast development. Will her periods begin sooner because the pubic hair grew first and then the breasts? A little confused and a little concerned as I would just like to be prepared. Please advise.

Hallo Nicky
No it does not indicate that her periods will begin earlier. Interestingly most girls will start menstuating when their average weight is about 48 kgs.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/07/15

Hallo Nicky