Question
Posted by: Mommy | 2008/07/03

Daughter with Bipolar

She lives all alone very far away from me. She is very difficult to get along with, but I love her with all my heart. She is the one greatest worry of my life. She is extremely gifted. Gets job offers constantly, but is now set on making a living by doing art. She is 30 years old, and my husband and I have had to support her all her life. The main problem is that at the moment she is in such a bind, I am terrified she will take her life. She has tried before. She has no money, we are also on such a tight leash. How does one talk to her...so difficult....to take a job, or where can she go for free help. She is in Gauteng. I have prayed and prayed, but sometimes I too wish I was dead....just never to worry anymore.

Sorry to hear of this A/M --- there's no easy way to deal with this. I wonder whether the Anxiety/Depression Support Group provides some suppot groups for FAMILIES of bipolar patients ?
sandra makes a marvellous and important point, that what matters most is the intent and signallying your desire to help.

6
Posted by: Mommy | 2008/07/04

Forgot to mention you Jenny. To all, all my love and the protection of God and His Angels. You each have one. Please be strong....or try to be.

Reply to Mommy
Posted by: Mommy | 2008/07/04

Thank you dear people. I am crying so much now, just because you understand. Thank you for all the advice. Dr. I will try this group, if I can find them. Sandra, darling, please look after yourself for your darling mom's sake and all those who love you. I have read everything there is to be read about this devestating condition. In our case it's a family affliction, from her Dad's side. You are so right, she hates it when I fuss. I just tell her I love her, and pray all the time, every day that she is safe. She has been offered the most marvellous positions, but as you will understand, has to make a go of things in her own way. Thank you again all... God Bless you All., Mommy.

Reply to Mommy
Posted by: Jenny (aka Nadine) | 2008/07/04

I am bipolar and so many people have said Im extremely clever but that I am not normal at all. I dont see it but I do know that I am very different. My husbands family never knew I had bipolar and when they found out a few months ago they were like "oh God, thats why she is the way she is" and they understood exactly why I always kept my distance. They really try to support me now and there are times when I am impossible but I am so grateful that they are always there for me even if I dont show it.

Reply to Jenny (aka Nadine)
Posted by: sandra | 2008/07/03

cp mom that was not a very nice comment yoy made on us with bipolar. you have absolutely no clue how it feels to live in this hell evry single second of every day. do everyone a favor and learn moe about his and try to put yourself in our shoes...then again, someone like you will never be able to survive for an hour with the illness we live with. don't talk about things you have no clue about.

Reply to sandra
Posted by: CP MOM | 2008/07/03

I read this and I get so scared...on the 7th of the 7th month 2007 at 7pm on her 37th birthday my best friend "eventually" succeeded in killing herself. In ICU, overdosed on pills that were not locked up.

Her parents did everything and she had been in every possible institution. They even locked her in her room daily giving her food and 2 sigarets etc....

I got so tired of her sayng she's going to kill herself and this and that that I said to her one day ag please go and do it RIGHT so we can go to your funeral cry FOR A LAST TIME ....she then said i was not her friend....but 11years she had tried to kill herself sometimes 5 or 6 times a year - i lost count....

I dont have advise just know that there are so many people like this...and absolutely NOTHING you seem to do or say or try or withhold or or or helps....

You are in my thoughts.

Funny how they are all so "gifted" or "clever" or or yet they cannot lead a simple "normal" life...

Reply to CP MOM
Posted by: sandra | 2008/07/03

i am bipolar. i do not know how you can get through to her all i know is that it helps alot to know there is someone who cares. people never know the right things to say but the fact that they try helps. my mom tries her best to understand and support me and for that alone i am thankful. we feel so alone and when someone tries to understand it helps. thank you for giving your best to your daughter just like my mom is doing. i can assure you she appreciates it even though it is hard for her to show.

Reply to sandra