Posted by: Tshirollo | 2009-04-07

Daughter steals money - 9 year old !!!

My nine year started to steal my mother' s money about R250.00 and she buys her friends sweets and all the goodies. My concern is will this be a sign of a problem she is going through? I moved her back to my mom in February then I followed to stay with them this month. I am failing to understand what can her problem be, she never stole before, I tried to plead with her after several times of stealing and she promised not to steal again, but she keeps on doing it. When I ask her again she said there is a man threaten her to steal the money if not the man promise to kill her (I know kids can lie but I am thinking if the man send her to steal how come she buys goodies for friends) And in our family home is so secured where by passerby’ s can really scare kids.

It certainly could be the start of a problem, and needs to be stopped early on. WHy is there money lying around hat she can steal ? And it/s stealing, and lying ) apparently ) about the man. Can she describe the man, and show you where he is, and where he speaks to her ? Tell her that if there is such a man involved, you will have to call the police and have them investigate, and of course, if they then find she has ben stealing these thigns for sweets for her friends, that would be very serious.
Take her to see a child shrink or counsellor to explore what is going on, and based on such an assessment, he/she can best advise on how to handle the situation. Is there a pychologist or counsellor avbailable, attached to her school ? And are things fine at shool, or are there perhaps problems there, as well ?