Question
Posted by: Riaan | 2013-01-16

Daughter not able to fall asleep alone

Our daughter 14 years is struggling to sleep alone in a room. Until about 3 years ago her older sister shared a room with her & #8203 & #8203 but she moved out of the house and she therefore has to sleep alone.

The problem began when she saw the movie came " Paranormal Activity"  at a friends house without our knowledge. Since that she finds it impossible to sleep alone.

She had been to a psychologist for 5 sessions trying to help but the problem did not go away.

The result is that she sleeps very little sleep or comes and lie next to our bed in the early morning hours when we are fast asleep. Other times she asked our domestic helper to sleep with her & #8203 & #8203 in the room.

The situation is causing a lot of tension in the house and also influences our marriage negatively because we can never be alone with each other.

She says that she is no longer afraid to sleep alone but she still can get to sleep alone.

I worry that her lack of sleep will lead to other mental problems.

We are all at wits end. Is she perhaps playing on our emotions (sometimes we think that she does) and must we simply force her to sleep alone or will this cause bigger problems?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Expert ImageSleep Expert

I agree that this sounds psychological. I would suggest you first speak with the psychologist, who should be able to tell you whether your daughter seems to have completely got over the problem.

She seems to have an anxiety disorder, and she may actually need to see a psychiatrist for medication for a short period, to get her over the problem.